Back to home page
- Lindell Ismo, Professor Emeritus of Electromagnetic Theory
- Born Viipuri, Finland, November 23, 1939. (After WWII Viipuri was annexed to Soviet Union as Wyborg)
- Parents Veikko Lindell (1916 Jämsä) and Eila (b. Lassila, 1913 Viipuri)
- Spouse since 1964 Sirkka-Liisa Lindell (b. Nopola, 1939 Helsinki)
- Children Hanna Katariina (1966 Helsinki), and Antti Aleksanteri (1970 Helsinki).
- Grandchildren Ilmari and Aino (to Matti and Hanna Vauhkonen), Joona and Vilma (to Antti and Henna Lindell)
- Doctor of Technology, HUT (Helsinki University of Technology), Electrical Engineering Department, May 27, 1971
- Licentiate of Technology, HUT, Electrical Engineering Department, December 12, 1967
- Diploma engineer (M.Sc.), HUT, Electrical Engineering Department, November 20, 1963
- Matriculation degree from high school, Kallion yhteiskoulu, Helsinki, May 28, 1958
- Professor Emeritus since 2005 at HUT which has been renamed Aalto University in 2010
- Visiting professor, Southeast University of Nanjing, China, March-April 2002
- Academy Professor, the Academy of Finland 1996-2001
- Professor in Electromagnetic Theory, HUT Department of Electrical and Communications Engineering, since August 1989.
- Research Fellow, the Academy of Finland, 1991-1992.
- Associate Professor in Radio Engineering, HUT, Department of Electrical Engineering, 1975-1989.
- Visiting Scientist, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1986-1987 (Research fellowship, the Academy of Finland).
- Acting Professor in Radio Engineering, HUT, Department of Electrical Engineering, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1983-1984.
- Senior Fellow, the Academy of Finland, 1974.
- Visiting Associate Professor, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, IL, 1972-1973. (Fulbright fellowship for post-doctoral researchers)
- Acting Associate Professor in Radio Engineering, HUT, Department of Electrical Engineering, 1969-1972, 1973-1974.
- Junior Fellow, the Academy of Finland, 1967.
- Research and Teaching Assistant, HUT, 1962-1974.
Professional Activities - National
- HUT, Founder of the Electromagnetics Laboratory, director 1984-1996.
- URSI (International Union on Radio Science), Chairman of The Finnish National Committee 1992-1997, vice chairman 1982-1992.
- URSI, Commission B (Fields and Waves) representative of Finland 1977-2002.
- HUT, Vice Chairman of the Electrical Engineering Faculty, 1990-1993.
- HUT, Chief of the Electronics Department, 1990.
- League of University Professors, board member, HUT branch, 1984-1990.
- Chairman, IEEE Finland Section, 1985-1987.
- URSI/IEEE National Convention, Chairman of the Organizing Committee, 1983, 1986.
- URSI, Secretary of the Finnish National Committee 1969-1970, 1975.
- Library of the HUT, Member of the Board of Trustees, 1977-1982, 1986-1990.
Professional Activities - International
- IEEE (The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), Student Member 1968, Member 1969, Senior Member 1983, Fellow 1990, Life Fellow 2005.
- Member of the IEEE Heinrich Hertz Medal Committee, 1999-2000.
- Member of AdCom (Administrative Committee), IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society, 1992-1994.
- Referee in evaluation of candidates to the professor chair for: University of Alabama, University of Arizona, University of California (Berkeley), University of California (Los Angeles), University of Kentacky, University of Michigan, University of Pennsylvania, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Texas A+M University, Technion (Haifa, Israel) and Zhejiang University (China).
- Member of the International Advisory or Technical Program Committee and/or Session Coordinator, PIERS04, Nanjing, 2004, URSI Int. Symposium on Electromagnetic Theory, Pisa 2004, URSI General Assembly, Maastricht 2002, Bianisotropics'98, Braunschweig 1998, ISAE'97, Xi'an, China, 1997, URSI Int. Symposium on Electromagnetic Theory, St Petersburg 1995, International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Espoo 1991, URSI General Assembly, Prague 1990, URSI General Assembly, Tel Aviv 1987, European Microwave Conference, Paris 1985.
- Radio Science, Associate Editor, 1993-1996.
- Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Editor since 1992, Member of the Editorial Board 1986-1991.
- IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and techniques, Member of the Editorial Board 1985-1995.
- Microwave and Optics Technology Letters, Member of the Editorial Board since 1993.
- State award on public information for the book Long History of Electricity (in Finnish), Gaudeamus 2009
- Van der Pol Gold Medal award of URSI, October 2005.
- Decoration by the State (SVR R I), December 2003.
- Guest Professor, Southeast University, Nanjing China 2002.
- IEE Maxwell Premium, the Institution of Electrical Engineers, London 1998.
- IEE Maxwell Premium, the Institution of Electrical Engineers, London 1997.
- Member of the Academy of Technical Sciences in Finland, 1996
- IEEE Fellow grade, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Antennas and Propagation Society. "For contributions to electromagnetic theory and for the development of education on electromagnetics in Finland", 1990.
- Member of the Electromagnetics Academy (USA), 1988
- S.A. Schelkunoff prize award for best paper published in 1986, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
- HUT, Prize for the Best Textbook of the Year 1986: Antenna Theory (in Finnish).
- Listed in Who is Who in Electromagnetics, Who is Who in the World, American Men and Women in Science, Kuka kukin on (Who is Who in Finland).
PhD Theses supervised
1986 (E. Alanen), 1988 (M. Oksanen), 1990 (K.Nikoskinen), 1991 (A. Viitanen), 1993 (M. Ermutlu), 1994 (P. Koivisto), 1994 (J. Sten), 1999 (P. Puska), 1999 (L. Puska), 2004 (J. Hänninen)
List of international publications given separately
Back to home page